Saturday, November 22, 2008

So Now What?

The gas station in my little town has regular gas for $1.99 a gallon. After the $4.09 in the spring, it's such a relief to see. But it has me wondering...

When we were at $4/gal and climbing, everyone - including me - was trying to find ways to conserve gas.

Hypermiling
Hybrids and compact cars
Ride sharing and carpooling
And so on...

Now that gas is back down, how many people will honestly keep worrying about this? Or will we, as Americans, climb back in our 18 mpg SUVs and get back to our old ways?

For my family...we've relaxed a bit, I will admit. I still hypermile in my Hyundai Elantra some, but I'm not coasting every light like I used to. And the Explorer is seeing a bit more useage than before. I do think we've fundamentally changed our mindset, however.

Will be interesting to see how everyone else reacts!

1 comment:

msirach said...

You better keep up your learned methods of saving gas. The new lows for crude are a false sense of fuel security.

Remember how much of each dollar you spend for gas goes to fund terrorist activities.