Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Que Sera

Is it confidence? Arrogance? Or is my give-a-s*** button broken?

The rumor at my work is that today is LAYOFF day. We have a new CEO who has promised to "turn us around" and "change the paradigm" and all those other CEO buzzwords. I'm sure he'll change something. Hopefully it works.

So with change comes uncertainty. Everyone seems to agree that some jobs will be lost - the question is where and how many. I've heard reasonable assesments (underperforming satellite centers) and wild conjecture (25% across the board). All seem to agree that it will happen today - or maybe tomorrow at outside.

I've been in my industry since 2000, and weathered a LOT of layoffs. Seven so far, to be exact. I remember being very, very nervous about my job the first couple of times. Now...I just can't muster the anxiety. If I'm on the list, I'm on the list - nothing to be done about it.

But hey, if I lose my job, I'll have more Etsy and blog time!

2 comments:

TexasTesla said...

The good news...I still have a job. The bad...125 people at my company don't. What a day.

The Beading Gem said...

That's too bad. But glad to know you are safe. Have been there myself so I know how it feels.