Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Product Lust

Since I had to go shopping for ear wires online anyway (see the last post)...I did a little window browsing too. There are so many gorgeous pearls, gemstones, and findings I would love to use someday - hopefully someone will either commission a piece, or I'll sell enough on Etsy to just *make* one! Come lust with me - maybe I can inspire *you* to commission a piece! :-)


Tsavorite is my new favorite gemstone, since I heard about it from my brother (he's currently in Sri Lanka). It's a green garnet, in shades from khaki to near emerald. It's rather rare, and so lovely, and the price is high as you'd imagine too.





I love blue opals - my birthstone, but also a pretty gem on its own. Pink is ok, but tends to show dark veining that I don't like. But rich blues...oh my. Opals can be so versatile too - surround them in gleaming sterling silver and they are fancy....but string them with wood beads and make them everyday.


Staying in the gemstone theme...about 4 hours from our house is a national park where you can mine your own Sunstone. For free! I'm sure it takes some work, probably more than just walking around and looking. Still, the idea is intriguing, and has me wondering...could I find some? If so, could I rough-shape and polish it enough to work with it?




Gemstones aren't the only thing I'm lusting after! I enjoy working with pearls - I love the creamy luster of good pearls, and find them a good compliment to so many other beads (and beautiful on their own too). The cultured pearls I normally get are nice, and Swaorvski makes very pretty crystal pearls...but to me, these Akoya Golden pearls are just the epitome of PEARL.




Coming back to earth a bit more...I keep seeing gorgeous silver findings by Hill Tribe Silver. So far, the extra cost has kept me away, but the more I see, the more I want to incorporate some of these lovely pieces in my own work!

5 comments:

Cyberpenguin said...

Hi TexasTesla,

Great blog you've got here. You can count me in as a subscriber.

Love the pictures in this post. Such beautiful stones! And you've got great taste to boot. Blue opal is one of my favorites too. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by my running blog. (BTW, I replied to your comment.)

Hope you're having a great week!
-C

Cyberpenguin said...

Uh-oh. I keep getting an error when I try to subscribe to your blog via the "Subscribe to Posts (Atom)" link.

Just as a suggestion to make it easier for people to subscribe & also increase your readership, you might want to redirect your feed to a service like Feedburner.com & also add an RSS button for easy subscribing. Hope this helps!

TexasTesla said...

Hi Cyberpenguin! Thanks for stopping by. :-)

I'm trying to fix the rss feed problem - have sent it to feedburner, but still having issues with the atom link. Will keep trying!

Anonymous said...

Those pearls are to die for. I wish I could afford to commission you for some of these gems, you would do a wonderful job with them

TexasTesla said...

Thanks Sophie! I actually did a very nice set of pearls (not quite that nice, but the next step down) and it was only $70 for the necklace and stud earrings. I probably should have charged more, but the $300 it would have fetched in a B&M store is just too much!